The Ellen J. Mandigo Award for Outstanding Service
The Ellen J. Mandigo Award for Outstanding Service was presented for the first time at the School of Engineering’s Infinite Mile Awards ceremony on April 29, 2009. This award is made possible by a bequest from Ms. Mandigo, a member of the engineering community at MIT for nearly five decades, who passed away in 2005. The award carries a cash prize of $5,000.
A fixture of the MIT School of Engineering staff from 1942 until her retirement in 1991, Ms. Mandigo always took a strong and friendly interest in the activities and welfare of students and faculty alike. From 1952 until 1971 she served as the “personal secretary” to Prof. Manson Benedict, who in 1958 became the first head of the newly created Department of Nuclear Engineering. In 1971 Mandigo joined the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics as the secretary to the department head, Prof. Rene Miller. In addition to her remarkable facility for undertaking and completing many jobs simultaneously, Ms. Mandigo was dedicated to MIT and its goals and objectives.
The Ellen J. Mandigo Award for Outstanding Service will be given annually to a member of the School of Engineering staff who has demonstrated, over an extended period of time, the qualities Ms. Mandigo valued and possessed in great abundance: intelligence, skill, hard work, and dedication to MIT.
- Marion Gross, Faculty Affairs Administrator for the Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Anne Hunter, Undergraduate Administrator for the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Marie Stuppard, Academic Program Administrator for Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Su Chung, Director of the Administrative Services Organization for both Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
- Anita Kafka, Assistant to the Head of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering
- Agnes Chow, Administrative Officer for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science headquarters
- Leslie Regan, Mechanical Engineering’s Graduate Administrator
- Valerie Censabella, Personnel Coordinator for Nuclear Science and Engineering
- Ping M. Lee, Fiscal Officer for Aeronautics and Astronautics